Home >> Timeline >> World War I (1914 - 1918)

The Morgan-Trenholm Collection combines the collections of William D. Morgan (1853-1938) and Alfred Glover Trenholm (1874-1952). The photographs document life in Georgetown County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many of the photographs in the collection come from local photographers, including D.C. Simpkins, W.P. Dowling, James H. Winburn and William A. Reckling. Alfred G. Trenholm, was a Georgetown businessman whose photographs include rare glimpses of Georgetown by air.

MUSC Nursing Class Photos, 1897-2002

Class composites and group photos of graduates of the MUSC College of Nursing.

In 1864, a 22-year-old seminary graduate named William Plumer Jacobs arrived in the small town of Clinton to become pastor of the Clinton Presbyterian Church (now the First Presbyterian Church, Clinton). Before his death in 1917, he was to transform the town. Wishing to make Clinton the Presbyterian center of the South, he was instrumental in founding the Clinton High School Association (1872), the Thornwell Orphanage (1875), and Clinton College (1880). Clinton College is now Presbyterian College, a thriving liberal arts college related to the PCUSA. Dr.

Pawley's Island

The Pawleys Island Civic Association Collection features many of the historic photographs from Pawleys Island: A Century of History and Photographs. First settled by rice planters who looked for an escape from the deadly malaria that plagued the inland areas, the island continues to bring in both returning vacationers as well as first-timers who long to enjoy the peace and quiet of this coastal community.

This collection of 548 photographs comes from two albums of family photographs created by Conrad Munro Donner (1844 – 1916), a peripatetic engineer from the Hamburg-Altona area near the border between Denmark and Germany who had an active interest in photography. Self-taught, the bulk of his images reflect his experience of Low Country rural life in Beaufort County, SC near the turn of the 20th century.

black and white photograph of an observatory

In 2011 Robert B. Ariail donated an extraordinary collection of historical astronomy to the University of South Carolina and the South Carolina State Museum. Over the past half-century, Mr. Ariail built a collection that encompassed both historic telescopes and astronomical instruments, now at the State Museum, and more than 5,000 rare books and other published items, now housed in the University's Irvin Department of Rare Books & Special Collections.

image of Russell Maxey

The Russell Maxey Photograph Collection at Richland Library includes over 7000 negatives, including images taken by Maxey and earlier photographers. Russell Maxey’s photographs allow researchers a glimpse into a southern city undergoing dramatic shifts in its economic, physical and social landscape. The negatives are housed in the Walker Local and Family History Center.

More Information and Complete Inventory

The Samuel Hudson Photograph Collection features photographs from the Hudson family. Samuel Hudson (1921-2006), a native of Georgetown County, was the son of Melvin and Wilhelmina Hudson. He served with the U.S. Marine Corps during WWII and returned to Georgetown to operate several prosperous businesses including Hudson's Real Estate Agency. He served as the director of Horry-Georgetown Economic Opportunity Council, Inc. and was a member of Bethel A.M.E. Church where he served as a trustee.

portrait of Samuel Lander

Samuel Lander, Jr. was born in Lincolnton, North Carolina, of Irish parents who had immigrated to America in 1818. He devoted his life to education and the ministry.  He graduated as valedictorian from Randolph-Macon College (then in Boydton, VA) in 1852. For a short time he practiced civil engineering and studied law. In December of 1853 he married Laura Ann McPherson.

Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of South Carolina

Originally conceived in the late 18th Century, fire insurance maps provided structural and urban environmental information necessary for insurance underwriters. Founded in 1867 in the United States, the Sanborn National Insurance Diagram Bureau systematically produced ascetically appealing, but also efficient, maps nationwide. This New York firm expanded and grew immensely, finally emerging as the Sanborn Map Company in 1902. Eighteen years later the company effectively monopolized the insurance map industry.

Pages