Home >> Timeline >> Turn of the Century (1890 - 1913)
Gordon R. Hennigar Pathology Museum Collection

The Gordon R. Hennigar Pathology Museum Collection features photographs of gross pathology specimens from the Museum's holdings. The photograph collection is the result of a collaboration between the Waring Historical Library and MUSC Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (DPLM) to preserve, document, and make the wet specimen collection more accessible. Dr. Erin Presnell of DPLM says, "This is a wonderful solution to the preservation of the vast collection of gross pathology specimens collected and maintained in the DPLM Gordon Hennigar Museum over the past several decades.

Student at Greenville Woman's College. 1930

This digital collection contains over 500 documents, postcards, and photographs from the Greenville Woman's College located in Greenville, South Carolina. The college, which was founded in 1854 by the Southern Baptist Convention, merged with Furman University in 1938 and moved to Furman University's new consolidated campus in 1961, closing down its former location in downtown Greenville.

Gregg portrait

This photograph collection is a small portion of USC Aiken's historical Gregg-Graniteville Archive of documents and memorabilia of the Graniteville Company, a major Southern textile manufacturing firm founded in 1845 by William Gregg. The archive represents the only collection in existence devoted to William Gregg and the Graniteville Company. It was developed over the years by the executives of the company at its main office in the village of Graniteville.

Hemrick Salley Family Sheet Music

Donated in 2010 by Hemrick Nathan Salley Jr., the Salley Family Sheet Music includes music from the 19th and 20th Centuries. These two bound volumes from the collection each have a distinct focus: one on popular piano music from the mid-1800s, and the other on popular songs for piano and voice from 1899 to 1902 with an emphasis on blackface minstrelsy.

Historic Charleston Foundation Monographs and Photographs

Various monographs and photographs from the Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation. The focus of the collection items is primarily Charleston historic buildings, streets, landmarks, and sites. The collection also includes publications related to tourism in Charleston (1879-1948), the Charleston Earthquake of 1886, and the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition of 1901-1902.

Fort Moultrie Centennial Pamphlet

The Historical Commission of South Carolina pamphlet collection is comprised of 45 artificially bound volumes of separately published South Carolina imprints from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Topics covered include: agriculture, Civil War regimental histories, education and schools, geology, industry, medicine, Native American tribes, nature, nullification, the Revolutionary War, the Reconstruction Era (1865-1877), and the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition (1901-1902).

Historic Soil Survey Maps

These forty South Carolina soil survey maps from the early Nineteen Hundreds were prepared with booklets to explain the soil classifications on the county level. They include information that do not appear on updated survey maps, such as old rail lines, schools, churches and other structures as well as entire towns that no longer exist. 

Hospital Herald

The official publication of the Association of Colored Physicians of South Carolina, the Hospital Herald was published from 1899-1900. Edited by A.C. McClennan, MD, surgeon in charge of the Colored Hospital and Training School for Nurses, the Hospital Herald was a monthly journal "devoted to hospital work, nurse training, domestic and public hygiene."

Irish Volunteers Memorial Meeting book cover

The Irish Volunteers, organized in Charleston, South Carolina about 1798, included many prominent members of the Hibernian Society who served as officers. Originally part of the 28th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, the Irish Volunteers Company was first on active service in the War of 1812 where they served on patrol and constructed defenses. The Irish Volunteers supported Nullification in 1832 and served in the Seminole War (1836) and the Mexican War.

Pages