Home >> Timeline >> Turn of the Century (1890 - 1913)
group of women students outside holding cotton plants

Early 20th century photographic images from the Woman's College of Due West (SC), including class pictures. In 1904, the Due West Female College (founded in 1859) came under the control of the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the school's name was changed to the Woman's College of Due West. There was the same mission to provide young women with equal educational opportunity as young men. The Woman's College co-existed alongside the all-male Erskine College from1904 until 1927, when the two institutions merged to become Erskine College.

 

In the first part of the 20th century, Greenville South Carolina was home to two colleges for women, Chicora College and the Greenville Woman's College. This collection of materials, which includes yearbooks dating from 1901 to 1930, provides insights into both the everyday life and the academic world of young women of that era. 

 

Pages