Home >> Timeline >> Turn of the Century (1890 - 1913)
manuscript

The Wilkinson-Keith Family Papers consist of correspondence and other documents among the Wilkinson, Keith, Siegling, Haskell, and Marshall families and their friends dating from 1785 to 1920. The bulk of the correspondence dates from 1820 to 1890, a large portion of which chronicles Willis Keith’s experiences as a Confederate soldier in 1862-1863. Antebellum correspondence discusses Charleston fires, great details of family illnesses and their cures, plantation life (more specifically, destruction/endurance of crops and treatment of slaves), and general details about everyday life.

William A. Rosenthall Judaica Collection - Postcards

William A. Rosenthall's collection of Judaica postcards. A particular collecting focus of Rosenthall was images of synagogues located around the globe, including European synagogues destroyed by the Nazis or converted to stables and warehouses. Also included are images of cemeteries, tombs, Jewish neighborhoods, and other Jewish sites of interest.

William A. Rosenthall Judaica Collection - Prints and Photographs

Rabbi William A. Rosenthall's collection of Judaica prints and photographs. These images document the Jewish people: their lives, history, religious ceremonies, dress, and customs. Also included are Jewish New Year cards, caricatures, and clippings from Jewish journals and publications. Rosenthall was the rabbi at Charleston's Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue from 1976 to 1992. He traveled extensively during his life and collected items related to Jewish life and culture.

William Bacon (1873-1908) was the son of John Henry Bacon (1835-1884) and Virginia Ellen Handy Humphreys (1848-1905). His siblings included John, Lulo (Parsons), Minnie (Twilley), Agnes (Johnson) and Elmer. He moved to California to work for the Pinkerton Detective Agency. His scrapbook features early 20th century images of California including the cities of Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco.

portrait of WD Rutherford

This collection of one hundred fifty-three manuscripts begins in 1858 when Rutherford was courting Sallie Fair, the daughter of Simeon Fair, of Newberry, S.C. The courtship of William ("Drate") Rutherford and Sallie Fair was interrupted in 1861 by secession and war.

William Lynch Postcard Collection

The postcard collection was started by Bill and Judy Lynch over 30 years ago. Both daughter, Tracie and granddaughter, Halie have been active participants as well. The collection is being shared with the Spartanburg County Public Libraries, to allow anyone with an interest in Spartanburg's history access to these postcard images.

In its entirety the collection has approximately 1,200 postcards. Most of the postcards and the images associated with them were published during the 20th century (1900-1999). A small portion predate that time period.

image: Pacolet River flood damage

William Lynch assembled an impressive collection of stereoviews, or stereoscopic photographs. These are card-mounted photographs that render a three-dimensional image when placed in a specialized viewer. In the digital collection presented here, the front and reverse of each stereoview are shown. Also included is a 3-D anaglyph that allows users with 3-D glasses (with red and blue lenses) to view the image in full three dimensional depth.  The entire collection consists of 122 stereoviews.

William Martin Aiken Papers, 1878-1956

View the Collection

Pencil sketches and watercolors by Charleston-born architect William Martin Aiken. Includes images of grand houses (exterior and interior) with architectural details, gates and doors, churches and museums, sailing vessels and flora along the east coast of the United States and Europe.

group of women students outside holding cotton plants

Early 20th century photographic images from the Woman's College of Due West (SC), including class pictures. In 1904, the Due West Female College (founded in 1859) came under the control of the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the school's name was changed to the Woman's College of Due West. There was the same mission to provide young women with equal educational opportunity as young men. The Woman's College co-existed alongside the all-male Erskine College from1904 until 1927, when the two institutions merged to become Erskine College.

 

Pages