Home >> Timeline >> Turn of the Century (1890 - 1913)
AccessAble Books

The University of South Carolina Press and the University of South Carolina Libraries are pleased to announce the launch of AccessAble Books. Titles published under this joint imprint are selected from the diverse collections of the Thomas Cooper Library and the South Caroliniana Library as a means to republish important out-of-print volumes of scholarship and regional history.

Albert Simons Papers, 1908-1977

View the Collection

Sketches of buildings and architectural features in Europe, Maryland, Turkey, Italy, Greece, France, South Carolina, and Spain, by Charleston architect Albert Simons.  Also included are sketches during his military service in Europe during World War I. The images depict buildings of France, and soldiers and civilians of many nationalities.

A handmade ledger book from 1794 belonging to Alexander McBeth & Company, who began operations in Greenville County in the early 1790s. The store stood on the White Horse Road. This ledger is held by the Greenville County Library System's South Carolina Room.

The Andrews Museum Collection features photographs taken of the century old town of Andrews, South Carolina. Founded in 1909, Andrews was formed when the towns of Rosemary and Harpers merged. Known for its railway lines and lumber mills, Andrews quickly became a town that had a lot to offer. Churches, retail stores, movie theaters and more were built as the town grew.

The Andrews Museum is located in the Old Town Hall and offers visitors a chance to see life in 1909 Andrews, South Carolina.

One of America’s foremost early twentieth-century African-American magic acts. J. Hartford Armstrong, his wife, Lille Belle Armstrong, and eventually their daughter, Ellen Armstrong, performed feats that included mind reading, slight of hand, and card tricks. This collection of 127 items includes letters, photographs, and newspaper clippings.

Beaty Family Collection

The Beaty Family Scrapbook contains images of the family during their time spent in Murrells Inlet during the years 1908-1915. The family purchased the Hermitage in 1905 and spent many happy days fishing and swimming in the inlet.

Beautifying Greenville, SC

In 1907, the landscape architecture firm Kelsey & Guild, of Boston, MA, prepared a report for the Municipal League of Greenville in which they outlined, “the possibilities for beautifying and improving Greenville and…practical ways to accomplish results.”  This report, presented here in its final published version as well as the typescript version initially submitted to the League, provides a fascinating snapshot of the realities of life in Greenville over a century ago, as well as giving evidence of the early planning that went into creating the city we know today.

The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few undeveloped tracts of land on the Waccamaw Neck.

This collection includes images of the Baruch family, their friends and guest at Hobcaw, as well as their extensive travels around the world. Photograph descriptions were provided by Lee Brockington.

Berkeley Photographs

Once part of an album, the photographs (circa 1900) show plantations, African Americans, horses, hunting, rice threshing, wagons and carts, and churches in Berkeley County, S.C. Some featured landmarks are: Medway, Wappahoola, Mulberry Castle, Dean Hall (bulk of collection,) Dockon, Bushy Park, Exeter, Cote Bas, Bippy, Lewisfield, Strawberry Chapel, Strawberry ferry, and pine land house. People who are identified in the photographs include Col. Jim Petigru Carson, S.P. Stoney, and the Stoney family.

Bettie La Barbe Postcard Collection

Originally a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Bettie La Barbe spent several years (approximately 1904 - 1923) in Charleston as a teacher and the directress of Kelly's Kindergarten at Saint Andrews Episcopal Church (located at King and Poinsette Streets). She retired to Asheville, North Carolina and remained an active member in her community until her death in 1955. The collection consists of just over three hundred Victoriana-era postcards collected by Miss La Barbe between the years 1903 - 1935.

Pages