Home >> Timeline >> Reconstruction (1866 - 1877)
Waring Historical Library Artifact Collection

As part of a grant from the Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelly Foundation, the Waring Historical Library is photographing 500 objects from its collection of medical artifacts. The artifacts date to the 18th century, and include pharmacy containers, surgical instruments, and bleeding apparatus. One hundred of the objects will be presented as "3D" videos that offer a 360 degree view of the artifact.

manuscript

The Wilkinson-Keith Family Papers consist of correspondence and other documents among the Wilkinson, Keith, Siegling, Haskell, and Marshall families and their friends dating from 1785 to 1920. The bulk of the correspondence dates from 1820 to 1890, a large portion of which chronicles Willis Keith’s experiences as a Confederate soldier in 1862-1863. Antebellum correspondence discusses Charleston fires, great details of family illnesses and their cures, plantation life (more specifically, destruction/endurance of crops and treatment of slaves), and general details about everyday life.

William A. Rosenthall Judaica Collection - Prints and Photographs

Rabbi William A. Rosenthall's collection of Judaica prints and photographs. These images document the Jewish people: their lives, history, religious ceremonies, dress, and customs. Also included are Jewish New Year cards, caricatures, and clippings from Jewish journals and publications. Rosenthall was the rabbi at Charleston's Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue from 1976 to 1992. He traveled extensively during his life and collected items related to Jewish life and culture.

portrait of WD Rutherford

This collection of one hundred fifty-three manuscripts begins in 1858 when Rutherford was courting Sallie Fair, the daughter of Simeon Fair, of Newberry, S.C. The courtship of William ("Drate") Rutherford and Sallie Fair was interrupted in 1861 by secession and war.

William Lynch Postcard Collection

The postcard collection was started by Bill and Judy Lynch over 30 years ago. Both daughter, Tracie and granddaughter, Halie have been active participants as well. The collection is being shared with the Spartanburg County Public Libraries, to allow anyone with an interest in Spartanburg's history access to these postcard images.

In its entirety the collection has approximately 1,200 postcards. Most of the postcards and the images associated with them were published during the 20th century (1900-1999). A small portion predate that time period.

group of women students outside holding cotton plants

Early 20th century photographic images from the Woman's College of Due West (SC), including class pictures. In 1904, the Due West Female College (founded in 1859) came under the control of the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the school's name was changed to the Woman's College of Due West. There was the same mission to provide young women with equal educational opportunity as young men. The Woman's College co-existed alongside the all-male Erskine College from1904 until 1927, when the two institutions merged to become Erskine College.

 

Pages