Home >> Timeline >> Reconstruction (1866 - 1877)
montage of artifacts from SCADP

Divers have been exploring the rivers and coastal waters of South Carolina since the early 1960’s when SCUBA as a sport was in its infancy. The South Carolina State Legislature first enacted an Underwater Antiquities Bill in 1968 which was intended to protect historic shipwrecks and other submerged cultural resources.  In 1974 a Hobby Diver Program was developed that enabled divers to be licensed to recover artifacts on a limited basis while reporting finds to the State archaeologists.

Standard Federal Photographs, Columbia SC

This comprehensive set of Columbia area images includes 146 prints from periods ranging from 1865 to 1980. The collection was amassed from various long time photographers in the community such as John A. Sargeant, Charles Old and Walter Blanchard. They operated studios in the city from the period c. 1915 through 1960. The images include street scenes, buildings, special activities, and related subjects. Most of the collection consists of copies from original prints. It was donated to the SC State Museum in 1988.

image of trees

This group of 74 stereographs contains images of the damage to Charleston during the Civil War, along with images of Folly and Port Royal Islands. Forts, churches, hospitals and headquarters come to life in these photographs taken by war photographers such as Samuel A. Cooley and John P. Soule. Spanning both the period of the Civil War and Reconstruction, the stereographs include locations significant to the war and the times. Each item features two albumen prints on one side, and some contain information about the photographs or photographers on the reverse.

Medical Society of South Carolina Digital Collections

The Medical Society of South Carolina was founded in 1789. The collection includes the society's minutes as well as portraits of MSSC Presidents.

New South Newspaper Collection Logo

Union postmaster Joseph H. Sears published the New South newspaper out of the post office building on Union Square in Port Royal, S.C., on a weekly basis beginning in March 1862. The paper was moved to the town of Beaufort sometime in 1865 and remained there until it ceased in 1867. The New South offers a glimpse into an era of unprecedented social upheaval in the South Carolina Low Country. The 64 issues available online are fully searchable and readable with the use of the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Exterior of building on USC Campus

These images, dating from the 1920s to the 1950s, document the evolution of the University's physical structures.

USC Reconstruction Records

In 1873, the University of South Carolina became the only state-supported Southern university to fully integrate during the Reconstruction Era that followed the Civil War. By 1876, the student body was predominately African-American. After Wade Hampton was elected governor and whites regained control of state government, the University was closed for reorganization in 1877, and reopened in 1880 as an all-white institution. It would remain all-white until desegregation in 1963.

USC Student Exams

These student examinations date largely from the second half of the 19th century, a period in which the University of South Carolina underwent significant changes not only in its curriculum but also in its student body, its faculty and its educational goals. The exams in this collection that date prior to 1873 reflect the South Carolina College's original incarnation as a classical institution.

USC Medical School Historical Collections

This collection gives an indication of the kinds and numbers of medical books in the hands of physicians in South Carolina and reflects the education and training of doctors during the 18th and 19th centuries.

Pages