Home >> Timeline >> The Modern State (1970 - present)
image of smokey the bear and children at library checkout

The South Carolina State Library and the South Carolina Digital Library present the South Carolina Children's Library Services Collection, a collection of historical and contemporary images from the 1940s-2000s relating to library services for children. 

The photographs are from the archives of the South Carolina State Library and many were taken by State Library field agents. Portrayed in photographs are youth at public libraries, summer reading programs, other children's programs, and displays.

Allen University Graduating Class of 1896

Allen University has a rich and distinguished history. Founded in 1870 by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, the institution represents the dream of Daniel Alexander Payne (1811-1883), an apostle of black education in the United States, who saw the need for such a school among African Americans.  Payne’s dream was fulfilled by Richard Allen, AME church clergy and laymen.
 

The Andrews Museum Collection features photographs taken of the century old town of Andrews, South Carolina. Founded in 1909, Andrews was formed when the towns of Rosemary and Harpers merged. Known for its railway lines and lumber mills, Andrews quickly became a town that had a lot to offer. Churches, retail stores, movie theaters and more were built as the town grew.

The Andrews Museum is located in the Old Town Hall and offers visitors a chance to see life in 1909 Andrews, South Carolina.

Avery Research Center Oral History Collection

The Avery Research Center houses a variety of oral history interviews, largely documenting African American experiences in the Lowcountry. Oral history projects include the Avery Normal Institute documentation effort and the Sea Island Preservation Initiative.

The Belle W. Baruch Collection features photographs provided by the Belle W. Baruch Foundation. In 1905, Bernard M. Baruch purchased and merged 11 former plantations as a winter hunting retreat calling it Hobcaw Barony. Today, Hobcaw includes 17,500 acres of research reserve left by his daughter Belle W. Baruch and is one of the few undeveloped tracts of land on the Waccamaw Neck.

This collection includes images of the Baruch family, their friends and guest at Hobcaw, as well as their extensive travels around the world. Photograph descriptions were provided by Lee Brockington.

Broadsides

Broadsides is a virtual collection of posters from many different collections at the South Caroliniana Library.

statue of man on horse called "Riders of the Dawn"

The Brookgreen Gardens Collection includes photographs from the archives of Archer and Anna Huntington who established Brookgreen Gardens in 1931. The couple designed the gardens to preserve the native flora and fauna as well as display sculptures by Anna and other artists in a natural setting. Many of the photographs include features of the garden, Murrells Inlet residents and photographs taken by North Carolina photographer, Bayard Wooten. For more information on Brookgreen Gardens visit their website: brookgreen.org.

The Caines Family Photograph Collection exhibits the history of the family, from their life at Clambank to the more recent duck decoy carvings completed by Jerry and Roy Caines. Residents of Georgetown County since the early eighteenth century, the collection includes photographs of both the Caines Brothers and Caines Boys, both known as decoy carvers, fishermen and experts on local waterways.

 

aerial photo of textile mill

The Carolina Textile Mills Collection provides photographs, maps, blueprints, ephemera, letters, guidebooks and more documenting textile mill history in Upstate South Carolina from various textile mill related collections held by the Clemson University Special Collections unit. Images in this collection were taken from the M. Lowenstein collection, the Neil Campbell collection, the Dill Family collection, the Clifton Manufacturing collection, the Henry Cater collection and the JP Stevens collection.

Charles N. Bayless Photos of Charleston

A collection of images of buildings in downtown Charleston, taken between 1979 and 1988 as part of a photographic project funded by the National Endowment for the Arts.

Pages