Home >> Timeline >> Jazz Age (1919 - 1929)
Historic Charleston Foundation Monographs and Photographs

Various monographs and photographs from the Margaretta Childs Archives at Historic Charleston Foundation. The focus of the collection items is primarily Charleston historic buildings, streets, landmarks, and sites. The collection also includes publications related to tourism in Charleston (1879-1948), the Charleston Earthquake of 1886, and the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition of 1901-1902.

Historic Soil Survey Maps

These forty South Carolina soil survey maps from the early Nineteen Hundreds were prepared with booklets to explain the soil classifications on the county level. They include information that do not appear on updated survey maps, such as old rail lines, schools, churches and other structures as well as entire towns that no longer exist. 

Irish Volunteers Memorial Meeting book cover

The Irish Volunteers, organized in Charleston, South Carolina about 1798, included many prominent members of the Hibernian Society who served as officers. Originally part of the 28th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, the Irish Volunteers Company was first on active service in the War of 1812 where they served on patrol and constructed defenses. The Irish Volunteers supported Nullification in 1832 and served in the Seminole War (1836) and the Mexican War.

Isaiah DeQuincey Newman

Newman was a Methodist pastor, civil rights activist, and entrepreneur. A leading figure in the Civil Rights movement in South Carolina, he helped organize the Orangeburg branch of the NAACP in 1943, helped found the Progressive Democratic Party, and served the South Carolina NAACP as state field director from 1960 to 1969. In 1983, at age 72, he was elected to the South Carolina Senate, thus becoming the first African American to serve in that body since Reconstruction.

James F. Byrnes (May 2, 1879 - April 9, 1972) was a U.S. Congressman, U.S. Senator, Supreme Court Justice, Secretary of State, and Governor of South Carolina. During World War II Byrnes was nicknamed the "Assistant President" because of the power he wielded over the war effort in his position as Director of the Office of War Mobilization and Conversion and as one of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's confidants. The collection of 100 photographs covers periods in government and personal photographs including those of James and Maude Byrnes.

photo of woman and two children with dolls

The series of photograph albums document the time that John Shaw Billings (1898-1975) and his extended family spent at the Redcliffe plantation in Aiken County, South Carolina. Known for his position as the first managing editor of Life Magazine, Billings purchased Redcliffe in 1935 from his uncle Henry Cumming Hammond (1868-1961) for $15,000. Even before the purchase, however, Billings' family had owned the estate since its founding: former South Carolina Governor James Henry Hammond, who was also Billings' great-granfather, built Redcliffe.

The Kaminski House Museum Collection features images taken by Harold and Julia Kaminski of their Georgetown home, travels around the world and their friends and family. Harold Kaminski, the son of Heiman and Rose Kaminski of Georgetown, married Julia Pyatt on December 12, 1925 in the Prince George Episcopal Church Rectory.

 

The Kaminski-Prevost Collection features three scrapbooks from the Kaminski family and featuring scenes from Georgetown, Pawleys Island, The Citadel, and other South Carolina locations. Many of the photos feature Edwin Washington Kaminski (1868-1948), son of Georgetown businessman, Heiman Kaminski (1839-1923).

In 1912, a group of wealthy businessmen from Wilmington, Delaware, formed the Kinloch Gun Club on the North Santee river. They purchased 14 tracts of land and used the former rice fields for duck hunting, built a new clubhouse and employed many of the local men and women as hunting guides and housekeepers. By the early 1930s, club members Eugene E. DuPont and his cousin, Eugene DuPont, bought out the other members. The DuPont family continued to use the land through the 1960s

Pages