Home >> Timeline >> Jazz Age (1919 - 1929)

The Georgetown County Museum Collection exhibits photographs from families, plantations and other images from Georgetown County locals. The black and white images offer a rare glimpse in the lifestyle of Georgetown County in the first half of the twentieth century. Photos come from the Butler, Brightman and Harriet Morgan families, Caledonia Plantation, Lark Hill Plantation and the 1960s Highway 17 expansion. For more information visit http://www.georgetowncountymuseum.com/

The 20th Century Newspaper Collection spans from 1902-1999. Titles include: The Georgetown Daily Item (1907-1912), The Sunday Outlook (1902-1912), The Carolina Field (1905), The Georgetown Times (1905-1999), The Andrews News (1949) and The Daily Item (1912).        

The Georgetown County Postcard Collection features postcards that show many historic buildings and street scenes from the Georgetown area. Many of the postcards were used for advertising purposes and provide a glimpse into life in Georgetown in the early 1900s.

Gordon R. Hennigar Pathology Museum Collection

The Gordon R. Hennigar Pathology Museum Collection features photographs of gross pathology specimens from the Museum's holdings. The photograph collection is the result of a collaboration between the Waring Historical Library and MUSC Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (DPLM) to preserve, document, and make the wet specimen collection more accessible. Dr. Erin Presnell of DPLM says, "This is a wonderful solution to the preservation of the vast collection of gross pathology specimens collected and maintained in the DPLM Gordon Hennigar Museum over the past several decades.

The Greenville Civic and Commercial Journal (later the Greenville Journal) was a publication of Greenville’s Chamber of Commerce. In addition to articles showcasing local businesses and the activities of Chamber committees, the magazine included stories about the history of Greenville and biographies of local individuals as well as photographs of buildings of note in Greenville. These magazines are held in the archive of the Greenville County Library System’s South Carolina Room.

Student at Greenville Woman's College. 1930

This digital collection contains over 500 documents, postcards, and photographs from the Greenville Woman's College located in Greenville, South Carolina. The college, which was founded in 1854 by the Southern Baptist Convention, merged with Furman University in 1938 and moved to Furman University's new consolidated campus in 1961, closing down its former location in downtown Greenville.

Gregg portrait

This photograph collection is a small portion of USC Aiken's historical Gregg-Graniteville Archive of documents and memorabilia of the Graniteville Company, a major Southern textile manufacturing firm founded in 1845 by William Gregg. The archive represents the only collection in existence devoted to William Gregg and the Graniteville Company. It was developed over the years by the executives of the company at its main office in the village of Graniteville.

Harbison Agricultural College

Harbison Agricultural College began in 1885 when the Rev. Emory W. Williams of Washington, D.C. founded a school to educate young African Americans in Abbeville, S.C. It was named Ferguson Academy in honor of one of its benefactors, Rev. James H. Ferguson of the Presbyterian Church in Hanover, N.J.

Housed in the Archives of the Chester County Historical Society, the Henry O. Nichols collection contains an estimated 250,000(+) images taken by Mr. Nichols (1900–1991) over a span of 79 years (1911–1990). The Collection depicts images of everyday life, from birth to death, in and around Chester County, South Carolina as well as examples of Mr.

Herald-Journal Willis Collection

The Herald-Journal Willis Collection is the centerpiece of the Spartanburg County Public Libraries’ visual arts holdings. The collection of over 400 historical photographs was donated by the Herald-Journal in 1999.

Pages