Home >> Timeline >> Jazz Age (1919 - 1929)
William A. Rosenthall Judaica Collection - Postcards

William A. Rosenthall's collection of Judaica postcards. A particular collecting focus of Rosenthall was images of synagogues located around the globe, including European synagogues destroyed by the Nazis or converted to stables and warehouses. Also included are images of cemeteries, tombs, Jewish neighborhoods, and other Jewish sites of interest.

William A. Rosenthall Judaica Collection - Prints and Photographs

Rabbi William A. Rosenthall's collection of Judaica prints and photographs. These images document the Jewish people: their lives, history, religious ceremonies, dress, and customs. Also included are Jewish New Year cards, caricatures, and clippings from Jewish journals and publications. Rosenthall was the rabbi at Charleston's Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue from 1976 to 1992. He traveled extensively during his life and collected items related to Jewish life and culture.

William Henry Johnson Scrapbook

This scrapbook by William Henry Johnson is part of a collection of three, which document the history of a large array of Lowcountry plantations and places of interest. In this book - compiled, 1928-1932 - Johnson focuses on the Cooper River region and in the Parishes of St Stephen, St James Goose Creek, St James Santee and St. John Berkeley. The scrapbook draws together published historical research, maps, contemporary anecdotes and includes photographs Johnson took while visiting each location.

William Lynch Postcard Collection

The postcard collection was started by Bill and Judy Lynch over 30 years ago. Both daughter, Tracie and granddaughter, Halie have been active participants as well. The collection is being shared with the Spartanburg County Public Libraries, to allow anyone with an interest in Spartanburg's history access to these postcard images.

In its entirety the collection has approximately 1,200 postcards. Most of the postcards and the images associated with them were published during the 20th century (1900-1999). A small portion predate that time period.

William Martin Aiken Papers, 1878-1956

View the Collection

Pencil sketches and watercolors by Charleston-born architect William Martin Aiken. Includes images of grand houses (exterior and interior) with architectural details, gates and doors, churches and museums, sailing vessels and flora along the east coast of the United States and Europe.

group of women students outside holding cotton plants

Early 20th century photographic images from the Woman's College of Due West (SC), including class pictures. In 1904, the Due West Female College (founded in 1859) came under the control of the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and the school's name was changed to the Woman's College of Due West. There was the same mission to provide young women with equal educational opportunity as young men. The Woman's College co-existed alongside the all-male Erskine College from1904 until 1927, when the two institutions merged to become Erskine College.

 

In the first part of the 20th century, Greenville South Carolina was home to two colleges for women, Chicora College and the Greenville Woman's College. This collection of materials, which includes yearbooks dating from 1901 to 1930, provides insights into both the everyday life and the academic world of young women of that era. 

 

image of Western Union Telegram

Samuel Bloom (1895-1976), a first-generation Ukrainian immigrant and recent City College graduate, served as private first class and signaler with Company L, 325th Infantry Battalion, US Army, from October 1917 till July 1919. In April 1918, he went with his company to France, training behind the Somme front, and then going to signal school, before service in the Lorraine count-offensive (July), the St.

notebook with Star of David at top

This organization consisted of Jewish residents of Charleston who supported the creation of a Jewish homeland in Palestine. The organization is known alternately in the minutes as Bnei Zion and the Charleston Zionist Society. The records cover the meetings held from 1917 through the 1940s, and document fundraising efforts on behalf of both international Zionist groups and local Jewish causes such as the Hebrew School. There are members present from all three local congregations, Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim, Brith Sholom, and Beth Israel, with the latter two predominating.

Pages