Home >> Media Type >> Images
Woodside Building under construction

When the Woodside Building was constructed in Greenville in the early 1920s, it was a symbol of the city’s prosperity and ambition. At 17 stories it was the tallest building in the Carolinas, and could be seen on the horizon from miles away. This collection of photographs documents the building’s construction from – literally – the ground up, and includes scenes not just of construction but of Greenville’s Main Street and bits of everyday life downtown.

Young women in brightly colored traditional costumes dancing

This digital collection contains over 2,200 photographs of the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Lithuania, and Poland taken from 2005-2007 by Furman University professor of Education, Michael Svec. Notable subjects in this collection include: historical sites and monuments; celebrations related to May Day, Earth Day, and Liberation Day; protests of George W. Bush's visit to Prague in 2007; and the Hill of Crosses.

Gantt

This collection contains selected materials that hold historical and cultural significance to the African American community and represent its longtime presence at Clemson University. Resources included in the collection are from the University Archives that span from 1828 to the present day.

These include:

Main Street

Photographs of Downtown Greenville, SC

G. Wayne King Slide Collection

The 106 slides of late 19th and early 20th century Florence were collected by Dr. G. Wayne King (1939-2008), a professor of history, who retired from Francis Marion University. The majority of the slides depict street scenes and buildings of downtown Florence, South Carolina.

The Dreamkeepers Collection contains photographs of some of the most significant African-Americans in Georgetown County, including Joseph H. Rainey, the first African-American to serve in the United States Congress. Founded in 1978, the Committee for African American History Observances (CAAHO)

Late 19th and early 20th century photographic images of Due West Female College students and campus life. The DWFC opened in 1859 and was funded by a joint share-holding company, men mostly associated with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. The purpose was to give young women equal educational advantages with young men and to provide those of the church and the community an adequate education under Christian influences and environment. The DWFC operated in conjunction with the all-male Erskine College until 1904, when it became the Woman's College of Due West.

 

Dunean Mill

Collection of photographs of the Dunean Mill and community from the private collection of Marshall Williams. Owned by Ellison Adger Smyth, Dunean Mill opened in 1912 to produce cotton goods. The mill was named after the Irish village where Smyth's ancestors lived. In 1935 Dunean switched to rayon and other synthetic fibers. For many years it was a division of the J.P. Stevens & Co.

Pages