Home >> Media Type >> Images
John West

John West served his state and nation well as a soldier during World War II, as a member of the South Carolina Senate, as Lieutenant Governor, as Governor, and as United States Ambassador to Saudi Arabia during the administration of President Jimmy Carter. Returning from Saudi Arabia, West practiced law, lectured on government and the Middle East at the University of South Carolina, and engaged in a number of philanthropic enterprises. His public service was characterized by thoughtful and progressive activism.

Joseph A. De Laine Papers

This core unit of three hundred fifty items-two hundred sixty-two manuscripts (letters, speeches, reports, narratives, and affidavits) and miscellaneous printed artifacts (news clippings, programs, booklets), and eighty-eight photographs-added to the papers of the late Joseph Armstrong De Laine (1898-1974) covers chiefly the period from 1942, when he submitted his annual report as secretary of the Clarendon County Citizen[s] Committee, to 1974, when he delivered an address entitled "History leading up to the U.S.

poster image of soldier with headline: Help Stop This

The posters in this digital collection represent only one small part of the Joseph M. Bruccoli Great War Collection at the University of South Carolina. The Collection was established in 1997 by Matthew J. and Arlyn Bruccoli in memory of Joseph M. Bruccoli, Matthew J. Bruccoli's father, who fought in the first World War. While the majority of the posters in the collection are American, the collection also includes British, French, and German posters, along with a few posters from Austria, Canada, Italy, and Russia.

photo of joseph winter

The 3287 photographs, 207 negatives, 638 slides and including 4 panoramic photographs available online from the Joseph E. Winter (1920-1992) Collection reflect the career of Joseph E. Winter, housing inspector (1955-1965) and director (1965-1980) of the Columbia Rehabilitation Commission. The images comprise many of the streets and buildings of Columbia, SC from the 1960s. The home page includes a special presentation of the panoramic photographs and a long list of streets to choose from and view.

K12 Primary Resources Pilot

In collaboration with a pilot group of South Carolina teachers, USC Libraries has made these primary resources available online with the SC Social Studies Standards.

The Kaminski House Museum Collection features images taken by Harold and Julia Kaminski of their Georgetown home, travels around the world and their friends and family. Harold Kaminski, the son of Heiman and Rose Kaminski of Georgetown, married Julia Pyatt on December 12, 1925 in the Prince George Episcopal Church Rectory.

 

The Kaminski-Prevost Collection features three scrapbooks from the Kaminski family and featuring scenes from Georgetown, Pawleys Island, The Citadel, and other South Carolina locations. Many of the photos feature Edwin Washington Kaminski (1868-1948), son of Georgetown businessman, Heiman Kaminski (1839-1923).

portrait of Marsh and his wife

Many of the over 700 photographs by Kenneth Frederick Marsh (d. 1968) available in this collection have not been published. Some were used to illustrate books by photographer Marsh and his wife, Blanche Marsh. The photographs and negatives depict historic and modern homes, public buildings, textile mills, churches, and scenes of South Carolina and Flat Rock, N.C.

Keystone View Company Lantern Slides, 1892-1912

These lantern slides were produced for classroom use by the highly successful Education Department of the Keystone View Company. The slides cover a wide range of subject matter including scenes of industry, places of architectural or historical significance and places of natural beauty.

In 1912, a group of wealthy businessmen from Wilmington, Delaware, formed the Kinloch Gun Club on the North Santee river. They purchased 14 tracts of land and used the former rice fields for duck hunting, built a new clubhouse and employed many of the local men and women as hunting guides and housekeepers. By the early 1930s, club members Eugene E. DuPont and his cousin, Eugene DuPont, bought out the other members. The DuPont family continued to use the land through the 1960s

Pages