Home >> Institution >> Greenville County Library System
Receipt

William Butler [1790-1850] moved to Greenville from Edgefield in 1825 where he began to practice as a country doctor. He was educated at the University of South Carolina and served as a surgeon during the War of 1812. In 1841, he was elected from Greenville District as a Whig to the twenty-seventh Congress, and eight years later he was appointed agent of the Cherokee Indians. Already in poor health, William Butler died shortly after moving to Oklahoma to assume his position. His wife, Jane T. Perry, and children moved back to Greenville.

Greenville Women's College

Institutions of higher education in Greenville County.

Woodside Building under construction

When the Woodside Building was constructed in Greenville in the early 1920s, it was a symbol of the city’s prosperity and ambition. At 17 stories it was the tallest building in the Carolinas, and could be seen on the horizon from miles away. This collection of photographs documents the building’s construction from – literally – the ground up, and includes scenes not just of construction but of Greenville’s Main Street and bits of everyday life downtown.

Main Street

Photographs of Downtown Greenville, SC

Dunean Mill

Collection of photographs of the Dunean Mill and community from the private collection of Marshall Williams. Owned by Ellison Adger Smyth, Dunean Mill opened in 1912 to produce cotton goods. The mill was named after the Irish village where Smyth's ancestors lived. In 1935 Dunean switched to rayon and other synthetic fibers. For many years it was a division of the J.P. Stevens & Co.

Collection of photographs of the Estes Plant from the Piedmont History Collection. The Estes Plant opened June 1964 by J.P. Stevens and shortly replaced Piedmont Manufacturing production. The old Piedmont Manufacturing buildings were converted into warehouse space. In 1986 the Estes Plant was sold to the Delta Mills Marketing Company. Today Griffin Thermal Products produces radiators in the building.

WWII Airplane

Photographs of the Greenville Army Air Base.

The Greenville Civic and Commercial Journal (later the Greenville Journal) was a publication of Greenville’s Chamber of Commerce. In addition to articles showcasing local businesses and the activities of Chamber committees, the magazine included stories about the history of Greenville and biographies of local individuals as well as photographs of buildings of note in Greenville. These magazines are held in the archive of the Greenville County Library System’s South Carolina Room.

Fire truck

Photograph collection of government services in Greenville County.

Greenville Memorial Hospital

Photographs of the Greenville Health System (formerly Greenville Hospital System) over the past 100 years. Photographs loaned for digitization by the Greenville Health System.

Pages