Home >> Institution >> Georgetown County Library

The 20th Century Newspaper Collection spans from 1902-1999. Titles include: The Georgetown Daily Item (1907-1912), The Sunday Outlook (1902-1912), The Carolina Field (1905), The Georgetown Times (1905-1999), The Andrews News (1949) and The Daily Item (1912).        

The Georgetown County Postcard Collection features postcards that show many historic buildings and street scenes from the Georgetown area. Many of the postcards were used for advertising purposes and provide a glimpse into life in Georgetown in the early 1900s.

The John Moak's WWII Diary Collection documents the life of John Calhoun "Cal" Moak (1920-1961). He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. C. Calhoun Moak of Columbia, S.C. He received his wings and ratings as a flight officer on August 30, 1943 at Lubbock, Texas. His diary begins August 30, 1943 and runs through July 18, 1944. Also included in this collection are three photographs of John C. Moak and two news articles, including an article from February 11, 1944.

The Kaminski-Prevost Collection features three scrapbooks from the Kaminski family and featuring scenes from Georgetown, Pawleys Island, The Citadel, and other South Carolina locations. Many of the photos feature Edwin Washington Kaminski (1868-1948), son of Georgetown businessman, Heiman Kaminski (1839-1923).

In 1912, a group of wealthy businessmen from Wilmington, Delaware, formed the Kinloch Gun Club on the North Santee river. They purchased 14 tracts of land and used the former rice fields for duck hunting, built a new clubhouse and employed many of the local men and women as hunting guides and housekeepers. By the early 1930s, club members Eugene E. DuPont and his cousin, Eugene DuPont, bought out the other members. The DuPont family continued to use the land through the 1960s

The Morgan-Trenholm Collection combines the collections of William D. Morgan (1853-1938) and Alfred Glover Trenholm (1874-1952). The photographs document life in Georgetown County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many of the photographs in the collection come from local photographers, including D.C. Simpkins, W.P. Dowling, James H. Winburn and William A. Reckling. Alfred G. Trenholm, was a Georgetown businessman whose photographs include rare glimpses of Georgetown by air.

The Samuel Hudson Photograph Collection features photographs from the Hudson family. Samuel Hudson (1921-2006), a native of Georgetown County, was the son of Melvin and Wilhelmina Hudson. He served with the U.S. Marine Corps during WWII and returned to Georgetown to operate several prosperous businesses including Hudson's Real Estate Agency. He served as the director of Horry-Georgetown Economic Opportunity Council, Inc. and was a member of Bethel A.M.E. Church where he served as a trustee.

The Shuford Family Collection includes photographs of Shuford, his wife, Edna Butler Shuford, and his children. Robert Pou Shuford (1880-1941), served as Georgetown City Recorder, Police Chief, County Treasurer and owner of "Shuford's Store" in Georgetown, SC. After his death, his widow, Edna, was appointed by the Governor of South Carolina to fill his position as Georgetown County Treasurer and would serve an additional four years in that position.

This collection of photographs from the early twentieth century shows life on two South Santee River plantations: Hampton and the Wedge. Hampton Plantation was owned by the Rutledge family, including Archibald Rutledge, Poet Laureate of South Carolina. The Wedge plantation was built by William Lucas in 1826, and remained in the Lucas family until 1929. The third scrapbook features photographs from the nearby town of McClellanville.

The Tarbox Family Collection features images of Georgetown County in the early 1900s. The photos, taken by Frank G. Tarbox (1856-1940), include images of the Tarbox family and their travels throughout the United States, of Willowbank Plantation, and the first first airplane flight in Georgetown in July 1911.

Pages